Dr. Leah Lagos
This one-day workshop is for health professionals and researchers who want to learn a theoretical rationale and clinical protocol for implementing Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Biofeedback (BFB) as a treatment for Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS). The hands on, guided tutorial, will teach clinically useful skills for restoring autonomic imbalance, reducing PCS symptoms, and engaging the body’s natural healing processes for recovery from concussion. Case examples, based on over a decade of Dr. Lagos’ clinical and research experiences, will be presented. Specialized issues such as treating patients who present with co-morbid symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and PCS will be addressed.
- Explain the relationship between Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and Post Concussion Syndrome
- Describe the current science and rationale for applying HRV Biofeedback (BFB) to PCS patients
- Identify the features of a ten session protocol for PCS including equipment, homework, and an overview of training
- Learn a combination of biofeedback and cognitive behavioral skills to help PCS patients reduce somatic symptoms
- Describe the general trajectory of improvement if patient participants in ten consecutive weekly sessions and complies with two, twenty-minute, at home daily breathing practices
Identify two forms of assessments for evaluating patient’s health at onset of training as well as measuring progress after training
- Describe how to measure patient progress throughout HRV BFB training
- Identify and utilize adjunctive techniques for treating trauma related to PCS
- Discuss the needs for the integration of HRV BFB and NFB for cases that involve attention and memory challenges
Mindfulness and Biofeedback for High Performance
Inna Khazan, PhD, BCB & Leah Lagos, PsyD, BCB
25 April | 26 April
Dr. Lagos will co-instruct workshop with Dr. Inna Khazan. Click here to view full abstract.
About Leah Lagos, PsyD, BCB